A small german shepherd puppy with a black face and a green collar.

Household Toxins

101 Things You Didn't Know Could Harm Your Pet

If you think your pet has been exposed to a poisonous substance please contact us right away at (818) 882-6111.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center may also help at (888) 426-4435.

It may save your pet's life.

A siamese mix with blue eyes looks up from amongst flowers.
  1. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.)
  2. Acetaminophen
  3. Cold and flu medications
  4. Antidepressants
  5. Vitamins
  6. Home insect products
  7. Rat and mouse bait
  8. Bleach
  9. Diet Pills
  10. Disinfectants
  11. Fabric softener
  12. Lead
  13. Lighter fluid
  14. Mothballs
  15. Anti-cancer drugs
  16. Solvents (paint thinners, etc.)
  17. Flea and Tick Products
  18. Drain cleaners
  19. Liquid Potpourri
  20. Slug and snail bait
  21. Oven cleaner sprays
  22. Lime/scale remover
  23. Fly bait
  24. Detergents
  25. Tobacco products
  • Aloe
  • Amaryllis
  • Andromeda Japonica
  • Asian Lily
  • Asparagus Fern
  • Australian Nut
  • Autumn Crocus
  • Azalea
  • Belladonna
  • Bird of Paradise
  • Bittersweet (American and European)
  • Black Locust
  • Branching Ivy
  • Buckeye
  • Buddhist Pine
  • Caladium
  • Calla Lily
  • Castor Bean
  • Ceriman
  • Clematis
  • Cordatum
  • Corn Plant
  • Cycads
  • Cyclamen
  • Daffodil
  • Daylily
  • Devil's Ivy
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Dumbcane
  • Easter Lily
  • Elephant Ears
  • Emerald Fern
  • English Ivy
  • Eucalyptus
  • Ferns
  • Fiddle-leaf Philodendron
  • Gold Dust Dracaena
  • Florida Beauty
  • Foxglove
  • Glacier Ivy
  • Gladiolas
  • Golden Pothos
  • Heavenly Bamboo
  • Honeysuckle
  • Hurricane Plant
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Iris
  • Jerusalem Cherry
  • Jimson Weed
  • Kalanchoe
  • Lantana
  • Lilies (all Lilium species)
  • Lilly of the Valley
  • Lupine
  • Marble Queen
  • Morning Glory
  • Mother-in-law
  • Mountain Laurel
  • Narcissus
  • Needlepoint Ivy
  • Nephthysis
  • Nightshade
  • Oleander
  • Panda
  • Peace Lily
  • Philodendron
  • Poison Hemlock
  • Precatory Bean (rosary pea)
  • Privet
  • Red Emerald
  • Rhododendron
  • Ribbon Plant
  • Sago Palm
  • Satin Pothos
  • Schefflera
  • Striped Dracaena
  • Sweetheart Ivy
  • Tulip
  • Water Hemlock
  • Wisteria
  • Yew
  • Yucca
  • Avocados
  • Chocolate (all forms)
  • Coffee (all forms)
  • Onions and onion powder
  • Garlic
  • Grapes
  • Raisins
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Moldy/spoiled foods
  • Salt
  • Fatty foods
  • Gum, candies, or other foods sweetened with xylitol
  • Tea leaves
  • Raw yeast dough
  • Balls (specifically balls that are small or have a smooth outer coating)
  • Batteries
  • Bread twist ties
  • Buttons
  • Coins
  • Cotton swabs
  • Glass
  • Hair Pins
  • Jewelry
  • Nylons
  • Paper clips
  • Plastic wrap
  • Socks
  • Rubber-bands
  • Sharp objects (knives, razors, scissors, nails, needles, etc)
  • String, yarn, or dental floss
  • Towels
  • Wax
  • Balconies - Tall balconies without safety railings, or railings spaced too far apart, can lead to a dangerous fall.
  • Bath tubs or sinks - Small pets can drown in full bathtubs or sinks
  • Doors and windows - Dogs and cats can run away if they find an open door or window. They can also get seriously injured if they run across a busy road. Windows should have screens to prevent cats or other pets from falling out.
  • Electrical cords - Your pets can be electrocuted if they bite or chew on electrical cords that are plugged in.
  • Fireplace - Your pets can be burned by the flames or get sick if they eat the ashes.
  • Toilets - Toilet water is not healthy for pets to drink; always remember to close the lid. Make sure you leave plenty of clean, fresh water for your pets if you must leave them home alone.
  • Washer and Dryer - Your pets can crawl into a washer or dryer without your knowledge; close the doors to these appliances when you're not using them.
  • Algae* - Can be found in ponds or other bodies of water; certain forms can be toxic.
  • Antifreeze/Coolant* - Some types of antifreeze or coolant products contain ethylene glycol, which is highly toxic to dogs and cats, even in small amounts.
  • Fire pit/Grill - Flames can result in serious burns and ashes can cause illness if ingested.
  • Fences or Gates - Your pets can run away if they find openings in damaged fences or gates. They can also get hurt or strangled if they get stuck.
  • Deck lattice - Your dogs or cats can get stuck in the openings under your deck and possibly be strangled.
  • De-icing salts - Some formulations may contain chemicals that are hazardous to pets if ingested in large amounts. Look for pet-friendly de-icing salts.
  • Compost (particularly if moldy)
  • Gasoline*
  • Oil*
  • Pesticides*
  • Cocoa bean shell mulch fertilizer*
  • Swimming pools and hot tubs - Never leave your pet unattended near uncovered pools, even if they can swim.
  • *All contain chemicals that may cause serious illness depending on the circumstances of exposure
    Holiday Hazards
  • Alcohol - Alcoholic beverages are toxic to pets and should NEVER be given to them during the holidays or any other time
  • Valentine's Day
  • Flowers and candy - Many types of flowers and plants found in bouquets are harmful to dogs and cats if they are ingested (see list of hazardous plants above). Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors and seizures, and, in severe cases, chocolate poisoning can be fatal.
  • Easter
  • Fake grass - This colorful grass may look appetizing to your pets, but it could cause them to choke or obstruct their intestines if ingested.
  • Small toys and other plastic items - If swallowed, small toys and plastic Easter eggs can cause your pet to choke or even damage their intestinal tract.
  • Fireworks
  • Fireworks - Fireworks can scare your pets making them run off, or cause serious injuries if detonated near them. Many formulations are also toxic if ingested.
  • Halloween
  • Repeatedly opening doors to greet trick-or-treaters can increase the chances of your pets running out. Keep an eye on their whereabouts at all times. If feasible, keep cats in a secure area or closed room when opening doors.
  • Candles - Pets are naturally curious, and may be attracted to the bright lights of the flame in dark areas. Dogs and cats could either burn themselves by the flame or knock the candle over, starting a fire.
  • Xylitol - Candy or gum sweetened with xylitol is toxic and should be kept away from your pet.
  • All forms of chocolate can be harmful to your pet, potentially resulting in poisoning or even pancreatic inflammation from the high fat content.
  • Thanksgiving
  • Bones - Turkey, chicken and other small animal bones are very different from the large bones you find at the pet store. These small bones splinter easily and can cause serious internal damage if swallowed, so NEVER give them to your pet.
  • Hot containers - Your dog or cat will most likely become curious when they smell something cooking. Keep an eye on hot containers so that your pet does not tip them over and get burned.
  • Christmas
  • Holiday plants - Christmas rose, Holly, Lilies and Mistletoe are all toxic to dogs and cats.
  • Ribbons - It may look adorable, but placing a ribbon around your pet's neck may cause them to choke.
  • Bubbling lights - Older forms of this attractive decoration may contain methylene chloride, which is a highly toxic chemical.
  • Fire salts - Contain chemicals that could be harmful to your pets.
  • Angel hair (spun glass) - Can be irritating to eyes and skin, and could cause intestinal obstruction if eaten in large amounts.
  • Christmas tree water - Stagnant tree water or water containing preservatives could result in stomach upset if ingested.
  • Decoration hooks - Can cause blockage and/or trauma to gastrointestinal tract if swallowed.
  • Styrofoam - Can cause your pets to choke if swallowed.
  • Ornaments - These can look like toys to cats and dogs, but they can cause serious injury, especially if your pets break or swallow them.
  • Tinsel - Can cause choking or internal trauma if swallowed.
  • New Year's
  • Balloons and Confetti - These fun New Year's party decorations can cause your pets to choke or obstruct their intestines if ingested. Keep an eye on your pets when they're around these items or move them to an area that is not decorated.
  • Loud noises - New Year's is typically a noisy holiday. Unfortunately, loud noises frighten pets and can cause them to run off. Keep your pets in a separate room, away from noisemakers, music, and other loud sounds that may startle them.